Monday, February 27, 2012

When Life Gives you Lemons

Recently, I've been upset with Uni for dropping me from my course. To say I had been looking forward to starting this course, is the biggest understatement I could ever make. I want to do Journalism. I applied last year, and I got in last year.
Then suddenly, in the first week of the semester, "bloop".
Sorry guys, you've been dropped. Our bad. -_-

FIRST OF ALL, we didn't get a phone call or mail but a nice little bulletin post on the Uni website.
I knew that a few students were going to be dropped but I was pretty sure I was okay, I mean...I've been enrolled for almost a year now...

So, my first reaction, looked something like this-




See, I wasn't sure if I was seeing right. I switched the monitor off and then on and then off again...but there it was. Clearer than the blue of the sky in a cloudless day. I logged off and logged on. Nope, it really was there. Me. I've been dropped! By then, I looked something like this-

I couldn't believe it. My hopes! My dreams! Gone in a flash! Distraught, I did my best to calm down before e-mailing the lecturer to find out what had happened. I was calm, sensible and did my best to keep the e-mail formal but yet personal enough to show how disappointed I was.
  
After that, I hit twitter, facebook, msn and any other website I knew, trying to contact all the other poor victims of this wretched nightmare. That only got me more worked up, and then I looked like this-
 
I had my whole speech worked out in my head, because I knew that I'd end up having to approach the lecturer personally. It wasn't long before I received a short e-mail that basically repeated the insignificant looking bulletin board and something that resembled an apology. I wasn't angry than, just disheartened.
Next day, speech in mind and guns loaded (metaphorically of-course), I marched into the campus towards the office.
With every step my anger and my distraught grew, until I was literally quivering by the time I reached the office door. There it stood, beckoning me with an aura of authority to step up into the ring and fight a battle where I was inevitably going to be the lamb in a fight with the lion.
I grasped the door knob..turned it, prayed....
locked.

Pote.

Frustrated, I  walked around the campus aimlessly with drooping shoulders until I saw the lecturer himself walking towards his office. I followed him, barged in meekly, apologized and squeaked an introduction.
I was definitely a force to be reckoned with.

I was told to attend class with the rest of those accepted....and then managed to talk with him after the class.

They were basing my being dropped on my high school marks...two years ago.
I couldn't believe it, but sadly, that was the case.

Luckily, the lion was going to give me a chance.

He wanted to see my writing the next day.

A friend of mine, Jo, I mentioned her once in the blog, had been present. She too had been dropped. This was her reaction.
I have never met someone as brimming with optimism as she was. The girl had no cloud in her sky. All she did was smile, say that she had a good feeling about this and waltzed off.

She made me feel better, but because I hadn't eaten the day before (I had been too upset to eat), I got hungry.
Again she surprises me. She produces egg sandwiches, and we sat at a free table lunching away as if our career and future wasn't about to walk the plank.

I got home, fueled by Jo's encouragement and slept more peacefully than I had the day before.

I'm still not sure if I'll be accepted and there's a pretty good chance I won't be able to get back in. I'm upset about it of course, but what can I do?

 It occurred to me that this was what they meant by "when life hands you lemons...."

HAHA I'm joking!

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. If I am dropped from Journalism, than maybe there is something I'm meant to do first before pursuing it and if my love for writing tells me anything, it's that, I will get back. Somehow, even if it isn't now. I'll pursue law and maybe volunteer for community projects in my free time.

It's not the end of the world and definitely not the end of this dream.

0 comments:

Post a Comment